We all have a channel that is our 'go-to' channel. When we can't find anything on the tv, there's a channel or two we go to, even if we have no idea what is on. My Dad's has always been ESPN. Sometimes Speed. I have seen Dad watch swamp buggy racing or lacrosse, just because it's on ESPN. Erich's channels are Comedy Central, Cartoon Network (For Adult Swim at night), or MSNBC.
My go-to channels are HGTV or Food Network. So last night there wasn't anything on, and I was watching The Next Food Network Star. I did not see last week's episode, but you can watch one and not have to watch others. I wasn't really interested in it, but I kept hearing the selection committee complain about one contestant. Their complaint was they didn't know what her Culinary Point of View was. So at the end, when it was down to her and another competitor, I told Erich they would send her home because they didn't know what her Culinary Point of View was. I was correct.
Erich asked, "What is a Culinary Point of View?" In trying to explain it to him, I told him, "For example, mine would be I cook and eat to survive, and sometimes I like it to be tasty". He found this extremely amusing. It's true though. I am not a foodie. I am not a gourmet cook. I don't even like cooking. I love to bake, but you cannot survive on cookies and brownies. Well, you shouldn't. So I cook meals because we have to eat. I make basic food that usually tastes good. It serves the purpose: nutrition. Not that I am a health nut. But I usually cover protein and a vegetable serving with a meal. I try to work in beef and chicken for sure in a week, and sometimes pork. We eat a lot of beef. We also eat a lot of pasta.
My recipes aren't fancy. I have different recipes for colder months than for warmer months. In colder months we eat beef stew, lasagna, ziti, swiss steak, chicken casserole. In warmer months, we eat less Italian- I don't like to eat really heavy things in the summer months. We do a lot more grilling outside. Rainy cool days are spaghetti days, all year round. We eat a lot of the same things over and over. I suppose some people would get really bored, but it works for us. Both of us could eat the same thing for several days straight.
My Culinary Point of View won't get me on the Food Network. Who would want to watch me cook hamburgers? But it gives us nourishment, and isn't that the point of food? Oh, and in case you're wondering, Erich's culinary point of view is: 1000 Things to put in a Sandwich.
Yeah, we're a good match. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment