Like thousands of other women, I am dishonest about my age. Although, I may be in the minority in that I usually say I am older than I am. That's correct. I will not be celebrating the 8th anniversary of my 29th birthday next week. I will be celebrating my 36th birthday. Finally!
I say "Finally!" because in my mind, I've been 36 for the past year. To really understand, you'd have to venture into Amyland. Amyland is the imaginary world Erich thinks I live in. Well, no, that's not quite correct. It's not that he thinks I live in an imaginary world. Rather, when I do something that seems odd or unconventional, Erich asks if that's how they do it in Amyland. This question comes up usually when I am certain that the way I'm doing it is correct, or when I defend myself by saying this is the way I've always done it. It has become a joke between us.
I do not like odd numbers. I never have. I don't know why, but I'll blame it on the fact that I was born in an even numbered month, on an even numbered day, in an even numbered year. That's the best reason I can come up with. Either that or I'm just crazy (which hasn't been totally ruled out!). I dislike odd numbers so much that it is kind of distressing to me when my age is an odd number. So I round up. Last year, shortly after my 35th birthday, I started referring to myself as 36. If someone who really knew pointed out that I was 35, I would say 'Well, I'll be 36!'. Yeah, in JUNE! It's one thing to say 'I'll be 36 in June' when it's May. It's another to say it in July!
The result is that 50% of the time, I'm lying about my age. I don't know when I started rounding up. It's become second nature now, and when I'm someplace where they really need to know my age, like at a doctor's office, I have to think about it. Is it an even numbered year? Ok, then the year I'm thinking is correct. Is it an odd number year, but after my birthday? Ok, then I have to subtract one for my real age. I'm sure I look like a real idiot. Who doesn't know how old they are?
Then again, who actually makes themselves older than they are? Those of us who reside in Amyland!
Hahaha ... things sure are different in Amyland! Though, if it's any comfort, I've reached an age where I need to think long and hard about how old I am too *sigh*.
ReplyDeleteAnd apropos even numbers - didn't you say that 6 was a lucky number for you? I hate to say this, but that would be an even number ...
Yes, 6 is my lucky number. :) And my favorite number.
ReplyDelete