Thursday, March 4, 2010

Signs of Spring


Slowly, signs of spring are emerging. I for one am not really eager to see Spring come; Spring is one of the worst times for me with my allergies. Lilacs are evil! I have always been allergic to them- although in NY they bloom right around Memorial Day. So when we had marching band for the Memorial Day parade- I walked the hilly and pothole filled streets while playing my flute and sneezing. I think I probably did more sneezing than playing.

Here in Ohio, the lilacs bloom in April. I can usually smell them a couple of weeks before you see the flowers- and once I can smell them, I become a bit of a prisoner in buildings- I don't go outside except to walk to or from my car. So spring is not my favorite time of year, even though I do find all the flowering trees in Ohio to be beautiful.

But I cannot stop spring's arrival. Some signs are quite pleasant. Last night we had a purple finch at the thistle feeder. I enjoy watching those birds in the spring and summer. Maybe the goldfinches will come back soon. It will be time to plant the garden before long, and it's neat to see the food grow in our backyard. The snow is melting, even the nasty dirty snowbanks. And I like opening the windows on late winter days, airing out the funk that seems to accumulate in the house during the winter.

Erich said I needed a touch of spring in the house, so he bought me a bouquet of pink roses and a bouquet of pink carnations at the store today. They are positively gorgeous! The roses are my favorite shade of pink, and they smell devine. Maybe being confined to the indoors won't be so bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment