Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Boys and Girls

My sister, Laura, is expecting her second child in September. Laura is the mother of Sydney, my adorable niece whom I talk about way too much. This little girl has all of us wrapped around her little finger. My heart just sings when I talk to her. Now, most days, she doesn't want to talk to me on the phone. She has a play phone, and she talks to Aunt Amy on that a lot. So when I'm on the phone with my sister, Sydney rarely has anything to tell me.

But those rare times when she does want to talk-- oh how happy she makes me! She will tell me something that is going on, at home or at school. I don't always understand everything she says. Not having my own children, I am not fluent in toddler speak. For the most part, she speaks pretty clearly. You forget you are talking to a three year old. But sometimes, I don't catch what she said. I make encouraging sounds: "Oh yes?", "Really?", "Wow". And when the conversation is over, I ask my sister to translate.

I have learned that talking to Syd can erase the worst day. When I am home and we play together, I feel so happy, so great. I didn't ever think a child could make me feel so wonderful. Not wonderful enough to want to have kids of my own-I believe God wants me to be Aunt Amy, not Mommy. But she has this power over me.

So I was thrilled when my sister announced she was expecting again. For a couple of months we've been wondering if we'd have another girl. Or if maybe, just maybe, this time we'd have a boy. There hasn't been a boy in mom's part of the family since my Grandfather was born, 94 years ago. Oh sure, my Grandfather has a younger brother; and his sisters' both had boys (Grandpa and his brother however, both had daughters). But in the direct line, Grandpa was the last boy. He & Grandma had two daughters. Mom and Dad had my sister and I. And Laura had Sydney. Several times we found ourselves asking 'what would we do with a boy?'

We're going to find out. My sister had her ultrasound yesterday, and she's having a boy. My BIL and Dad are giddy. A little shocked too, I think. Mom & I thought 'let's go shopping!' Everyone is pretty excited. We've never had a boy, but we're going to find out what it's like.

I know what it is to be an Aunt. And I know what a joy my niece has been. I can't wait to meet my nephew and find out what it's like to have a little boy to play with!

No comments:

Post a Comment