Saturday, August 7, 2010

Confidence

There is an email that circulates around a couple of times each year about how great women are. The email says that our only fault is that we do not know our own worth. When I get the email, it always boosts my spirits. But recently, I realized how very true that statement is.

I think I have mentioned before that I've always had a bit of a confidence problem. I thought it was just me. In the past couple weeks, various women that I am friends with have expressed doubt publicly- either on Facebook or their blogs. The women were younger than I am, or my age, or older. They doubted their ability in their profession, their hobbies, their parenting skills. The women and their situations varied, but all had the same end result- they won accolades for their efforts. I was surprised to find these women doubting themselves. I was also a little relieved to know it wasn't just me.

And then I was sad. Because women truly are amazing. We are daughters, sisters (even if we have no siblings), wives, mothers, and friends. We are nurturers, accountants, physicians, cooks, teachers, and counselors. We work in the office all day, and come home to our second job. The housework, making dinner, laundry, paying the bills.

When my Grandmother was born in 1917, women could not vote. As of this week, women occupy a third of the seats on the Supreme Court. My parents always told us we could be anything we wanted to be. Being female does not limit the possibilities. Each of us is an extraordinary individual. We don't require fame or celebrity. We make a difference in our own world every day. We enrich the lives of those around us, even if we don't always get the appreciation we deserve.

Women are amazing. We need to realize that, each and every one of us. We also need to realize it is ok to take time for us. It is ok if the to-do list doesn't get finished one weekend. Trust me, the work will still be there. I don't want you to think I'm anti-man, but really- the things that are on our lists are not on theirs! It's ok to let the little things go. We are not failures because we didn't vacuum the living room. No one will kick us out of womanhood if we order takeout now and then. (Although, I wouldn't mind someone kicking me out of womanhood once each month, ya know?)

Sit back, grab a glass of iced tea, and watch 'Steel Magnolias', 'When Harry Met Sally', or 'Gone With The Wind' (or whatever your favorite movie is). Cry your eyes out. Take a nap. Go shopping and delight in the great sale you found. Remember, girls, we are amazing creatures!

No comments:

Post a Comment