Sometimes others have called me 'creative'. I've also been called crafty. I had never really thought of myself as either of those. I have friends who quilt or sew clothes. They make the most beautiful things. I have other friends who put a lot into scrapbooking or stamping. Their finished pieces are works of art. To me, those are crafty people. Or people who do things in a Martha Stewart-esque way. Hollowing out gourds to use as votive holders. That is creative. Sandra Lee, who color coordinates everything in her kitchen to match the theme of the party, and creates these elaborate place settings, is creative. (Although I do think there's a bit of OCD hidden in her! It's just insane to switch out your kitchen for each party) I just have a few hobbies.
There I go again, putting myself down. In my ever present struggle with my confidence, I have come to realize that I am creative, and even crafty. Websters defines creative as 'having the quality or power of creating'. It doesn't mean you have to do every craft imaginable, and it doesn't mean you have to be the best at it. You just have to do it.
My Grandma Wager was a beautiful seamstress. She used to make outfits for my sister and I. She made outfits for our dolls too, and sometimes she made matching outfits for us and our dolls (long before you could buy such things in stores). Somehow she managed not to pass this onto anyone else in the family. My mother doesn't even sew buttons on shirts. If something needed to be sewed, we would put it in a certain place upstairs. When we went to Florida, the pile went with us and Grandma mended everything. She had a beautiful sewing machine, it folded into a table, and was kept in their Florida room. My parents wedding picture sat on the table. By the time I was a teenager, Grandma's eyes were so bad she didn't open the table any more.
My mother has always thrown amazing parties. She has a great eye for decorating and entertaining. She is also an amazing cook (as was Grandma). Mom's medium for her creativity is her kitchen. Although her flower beds always look amazing too. She doesn't really do crafts, but I think that is just because she's never had time. Mom is the person who introduced me to scrapbooking, but I know she hasn't had time to really work on it.
My creativity flows through many channels. We make jam every year. And then of course I make all those cookies each Christmas. I pack them up into gift baskets (preferring to wrap mine in fabric rather than plastic wrap), or I find other pretty ways to package the goodies. This summer I tried my hand at making pickles and relish in response to an abundance of cucumbers in our garden. I didn't really consider it crafty, just resourceful.
I do a little scrapbooking. In the past few years, I have made scrapbooks for several people in the family. All the while the things for my own scrapbooks sits in my scrapbooking tote in the dining room. Someday I will finish them. I need to make the time for it, really I do. Maybe this winter, after Christmas when I'm out of knitting projects.
Of course I have my knitting. I have a goal to make blankets for all my family members. Well, not ALL of them. The immediate family. Making blankets for the entire family would keep me occupied for years! Then I might try something more adventurous. I've found patterns of toys for kids. I think that would be neat to try. I have no doubt that I can do it. Even if I screw up at first and have to try again. I enjoy knitting, it gives me a chance to just unwind. It's something to do while watching TV as well. I don't feel like I'm letting my mind rot if it's occupied with my knitting :)
I suppose even this blog is an outlet for my creativity. Who knows, it could even be the springboard to writing a novel. Until then, I'll keep rambling about my thoughts. I'll also keep dabbling at my various crafts until HGTV discovers me. And then, I can have a house with a dedicated craft room!
Go for that novel, Amy! And remember, loafing is the most productive part of a writer's life. So sit back and let those thoughts wander until you can't hold back any longer. That will be the moment you need to grab a pen, or make that a keyboard, and write ...
ReplyDelete