One of my friends, and fellow bloggers, told me today that each blog post should only be about 300-500 words long. EEP! I have regularly broken this rule. Is it a rule or just a guideline? Maybe the thought is that people lose interest at word number 501. Maybe it seems too self-absorbed to write 600 words? I don't know.
I have learned that business emails should be kept brief. You want everything above the fold, meaning that the reader shouldn't have to scroll down. Your email should not exceed the reading pane. It just never occurred to me that my blog should follow the same rules. Sometimes my blogs can be short, but it seems, most of the time they are long. If you know me in person, you know that's just me. I talk a lot. It does take me a while to tell a story, because I like to set the scene for you. I want you to feel like you were there; to understand why this event or tidbit was important enough for me to share with you.
My blog posts are a reflection of me. If it is long, it's because I felt I could not say what I had to say in fewer words and make the same point or impression. I hope the length doesn't offend anyone. Maybe if my entries were shorter, I would have a large following. I've never thought much of popularity, and quite truthfully, am flattered that anyone even reads what I write. I apologize if they are wordy, and I thank you for reading them.
And a PS to my friend who told me about the 300-500 words: no, I'm not offended! I had never thought of it, but now that I have, I don't think I will let it limit me. I'm glad there's no blog police!
coming from someone who has to read and skim a lot of material every day, i do appreciate getting to the point in a concise manner.
ReplyDeletebut i do love your blog!
Thanks, Mitzi! :) The good thing about blogs is you can always come back to them and read them when you have more time!
ReplyDeleteI usually have this tendency to elaborate myself, but as far as blogging goes I do like to keep it just as brief as I'd be willing to read someone else's blog posts. Reading on your computer screen and all ... tires the eye, you know!
ReplyDeleteBut I always love to read yours, no matter how long, so quality does count for something.
And I admit, I couldn't resist doing a wordcount on this one - 310 - I'm impressed :-D !!