When we were kids, we asked my parents if they remembered where they were the day President Kennedy was shot. My parents were about 10 when it happened, but I didn't understand the sad look that came over them. I didn't understand the sadness in their voices as they said "I'll never forget it" and then proceeded to tell us quietly how they remembered the events unfolding.
In a few years, when Sydney and Drew are in school and start learning about the 9/11 attacks on America, they too will ask 'Do you remember'. And we will answer with the same sadness that my parents did. We may even cry. For here we are 9 years removed from that tragic day, and it still brings me to tears.
It was a joyous time for our family. My sister was getting married that Saturday-September 15. We were in 'wedding mode'. Making sure the reception hall had the final count, coordinating when the flowers would be delivered, making appointments at the salon. I was trying to get through my last day of work before vacation-I had tickets to fly out on September 12 to NY. I had a list of things I had to pack that night, last minute things to get done. I was working the morning shift at JCP- I was the manager of the jewelry department. The jewelry department always went in an hour earlier than everyone else. The jewelry gets put into safes at night, so in the morning you have to go in and put it out before the store opens. We went up to the break room for our morning meeting, and the television was on. Everyone was just watching in silence. I asked what had happened, and someone said 'a plane has hit the Pentagon'. But the image on TV was of buildings smoking in NYC. I commented 'but that's NYC'.
We didn't have a meeting that morning. We watched the television in silence. I got sick. I think several of us did. We solemnly opened the store, but we could have gone without opening, as there were no shoppers. This huge mall was empty-not even the mall walkers were out. I called my Mom. My Mom works for the county, so she was hearing a lot of things through the State government. I have always been terrified of flying, and I told her there was no way I was getting on a plane the next morning. She told me I couldn't, even if I wanted to, as all planes had been grounded. I called my sister. My sister was a mess. Not only was she seeing this horrible thing play out on TV with the rest of us, but she had the bride-to-be nerves on top of it. She was worried I would not make it home. I was her Maid of Honor. I assured her that I would get there. I was on the phone with either Mom or Laura for most of the morning. Everyone in the store was moving in a zombie like state. Then we received notice that the mall was closing. I think it closed at noon. The mall sat next to Wright Patterson Air Force base. There were concerns that the Base was a target, so they evacuated the area. As I drove home on this otherwise beautiful fall day, fighter jets were scrambling overhead.
I stopped at the bank and took as much cash out of my account as I could. There were fears that our economic system would collapse, and you would not be able to use credit cards. Erich had taken money out of his bank, and he gave me some to make sure I had a cushion. His parents also offered to give me some money. I checked the oil and tires on my car, and prepared to make a road trip. I told my Dad I would need an oil change when I got to NY-because by then I'd be at the 3000 mile mark. He said he would take care of it.
The next day, my boyfriend at the time and I took off for NY. Not sure what we would encounter on the way, he had gone to his grandmother's house and gotten his grandfather's rifle. He put it in the trunk of my car. Life had a very apocalyptic feel to it. You just didn't know what tomorrow would bring. In truth, we never do know what tomorrow will bring, but most of us live as if we have a thousand tomorrows. On September 12, I think everyone was living like it was our last days. It really felt like the world was ending.
We made the decision to drive straight through to Mom & Dads. It is about a 13 or 14 hour drive, but we didn't know what we would find if we stopped for the night. All I could think was that I wanted my family. As we drove through Cleveland and Buffalo, we were picking up Canadian radio stations. The Canadians were talking about how America brought this on themselves, with our pompous attitudes. I don't remember the exact conversation or wording, but I remember the DJs and the callers were all saying the same thing- the Americans did it to themselves.
As soon as we hit NY State, the electronic message signs on the Thruway said 'New York City is CLOSED' 'NO ACCESS TO NEW YORK CITY VIA THRUWAY'. I have never in my life known New York City to be closed. After all, New York is the city that never sleeps. There have been few times in my life I've wanted to go there, but this was the only time I'd ever been told I couldn't go there. Every electronic message sign on the New York State Thruway from Buffalo to Albany carried the same message. If you look at a map of NY/PA/OH; you see that I-90 curves a little north in extreme western NY. In Buffalo, the interstate makes a big bend, and then you head due east to Albany. The 'big bend' has become a bit of a landmark to us. You've already been in NY for about an hour, and once you've made that turn East, you've got 6 hours til you're home. Yes, it takes 7 hours to get from the NY State line to my mom's house. On this trip, once we made the big bend, we started seeing National Guard vehicles. The National Guard had been mobilized to help in NY City, and it was a continuous snake of camouflage vehicles from Buffalo to Albany. To call it a convoy would be an understatement. As far as you could see, you were surrounded by camouflage. My little green Focus was one of the few non-camo vehicles on the road. We would stop at rest areas, and the parking lot was full of the National Guard. When we went past a town that had a National Guard Armory, you would see a stream of vehicles getting onto the interstate. Even now, I can see that camouflaged ribbon stretching across the state. And the thought of that trip still turns my stomach and gives me chills.
When we got to my parents' house, my mother grabbed me in a huge hug. She wouldn't let go. Once we were settled, I started reading the newspaper articles, and watching the footage, and for the first time truly absorbed the enormity of the events. The fear subsided a bit, replaced by horror and anger. It was perhaps, the first time in my life that I knew what it meant to be a Proud American.
My sister's wedding went off without any further problems. Hearts were heavy. For our nation, and for our family as well. My cousin was home on leave from the Navy at the time, and on the afternoon of 9/11 he received a call that told him to get back to Norfolk ASAP. My Uncle took him down to Virginia, he didn't even have time to say good bye to others in the family. My Uncle said the ship left shortly after my cousin got on, and they were dropping other service members in by helicopter as they arrived. By the time of my sister's wedding, my cousin was in the Persian Gulf. My parents found a couple of small American Flags, and when they were introduced at the reception, they walked in waving the flags high. Mom & Dad walked over to my cousin's parents and gave them the flags. There wasn't a dry eye on our side of the family.
The next morning Laura & Andy left for their honeymoon. There were limited flights available, but they were able to get to Disney World. If I remember, it took them all day to get there. Mom, Dad, my boyfriend & I left for Maine. We had the trip planned for a while- it was supposed to be a chance to get away. After the events of the previous five days, it was a release for us. We just escaped, and it was very peaceful. One of the days, we were in Kennebunkport. We were walking on the street, and a large crowd was gathering. We asked what was going on, and were told Former President Bush was expected at any moment. We joined the crowd, and before long a boat came up to the dock. And there was Former President Bush and Barbara. They were joined by another couple, and of course, secret service agents. They walked up the dock and right past us- I have great pictures of him walking in front of me. Someone in the crowd said to him 'God Bless Your Son'. He looked up and said 'No, God Bless us all'.
I think that is still the most appropriate sentiment. God Bless us all. We will never forget.
"...a continuous snake of camouflage..."
ReplyDeletelove that line!
I think that everyone around the whole world will remember that day. While it was in the morning in the US, it was already in the afternoon in Europe. Having just come home from a part-time job I had at the time, I sat down to zap through the channels, when I came across the Breaking News bulletin on CNN. There was a reporter pointing towards the burning WTC - one of the towers had already collapsed, and while I was watching, the second one followed. I still remember how I sat there in utter disbelief. That's a moment I will never forget. And it's a moment noone should ever forget.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mitzi!
ReplyDeleteBirgit-I agree!