
Since my niece and nephew live 700 miles away, it feels like I switch into Aunt Amy mode when the wheels touch down in Albany. Yes, I am an Aunt 365 days a year, but I only have a few chances a year to *be* an Aunt. Time to play with the children, spend time with them, and have fun. This means getting down on the floor with Sydney to play or color. Color. Until Syd came along, I hadn't colored in years. Coloring with Sydney is not about creativity. It is about obeying Sydney. She tells you what to color, and gives you two or three of the 150 crayons she has to create your masterpiece. The whole time we are coloring, she is chattering away about different things. I enjoy spending the time with her, and happily color as I'm instructed. One night while we were coloring, she told me we could color again after dinner, if I could behave myself. I tried to keep a straight face and told her I would try. I must have been bad, because after dinner she moved on to something else.
Being an Aunt means sharing the bed. The first night I was there, Syd spent the night at Mom & Dad's. She decided to sleep with me again. Sleeping with Sydney is an exercise in survival. One minute she's snuggling against my chest, and the next she's kicking me. At one point I rolled over, and then I felt her head in my back. I didn't get much sleep that night, but I cherished being close to her. I love that she wants to have slumber parties with me. Imagine how much fun we'll have when she gets older! We may have to switch to sleeping bags though-the full size bed isn't big enough for both of us!
As I watch this little person, I am amazed. It is easy to forget that she is only 4. She doesn't really talk in baby talk like some children. Sure, she has the voice of a four year old, and doesn't always say things correctly. But she speaks very clearly, and can carry on conversations with adults. No, we're not talking about the economy or the election. But she'll talk for quite a while. Sometimes she says things that make you laugh so hard you cry. Other times she can be so serious. She is such a delight to be around, and I can't wait for Erich to meet her. I know he's going to adore her.
When I hold Drew, I think of watching him grow up. It seems that it was so long ago that Syd was little and had to be held. I look forward to watching Drew's personality develop, and I wonder what he will become. I look forward to playing with him, just as I do with Syd. I can't wait for the day that two little voices are yelling 'Aunt Amy!', and for the day when I will have two shadows.
Sydney frequently tells my mom that she 'loves Aunt Amy so much'. She talks about me when I am not there, and tells people how much she misses me. It pulls on my heartstrings to hear this. I am sad that I can't be there more, but so very touched that we have such a deep bond. I told Sydney it is her job to tell Drew about me, so that he too will love me and want to be with me. Her response to this was 'but you're MY Aunt Amy'. She is just starting to learn that a brother means having to share your toys, the attention, and the people you love.
Drew is so easy to watch. Babies make me nervous. Having to support their heads, knowing what they want when they cry... they are cute, but I'm not a baby person. I enjoy being an Aunt so much more now that Syd is old enough to play and interact with me.
On my last day in New York, I had to babysit Drew for a little bit in the afternoon. I fed him and changed him, and as he fell asleep, I put him into his little seat that he loves to sit in. I turned on the music, figuring he would go off to sleep, just as he had done every other time I'd watched him. But he wanted to be held. I picked him up and held him in my arms. I talked to him, and at one point both of us were just about asleep when the dogs barked to announce the arrival of the mailman. When Sydney came home, she ran into the house and climbed onto the couch next to me. She soon moved to the other couch because she can see the TV better from that one. She patted the cushion next to her, and asked me to sit with her. I gathered up Drew, and relocated to the other couch. Drew was asleep in my right arm, and Sydney curled up in my left arm. We sat there for over an hour. My mom came to pick me up, and laughed because Aunt Amy had her arms full. Sydney was eating snacks, and she kept feeding me. Drew had apparently reached a zen-state, and was stretched out on my lap with one arm stretched over his head, the other by his side. Sydney snuggled up against me and wouldn't let go. It felt nice. Not in a 'this makes me want to have children' way. But in a 'I LOVE being an Aunt' way. My heart swelled watching these two children. It was a perfect way to end the trip.
I have wonderful memories of Aunts, and some Aunts played a big role in my life. I like knowing that I can be an Aunt to Sydney and Drew. I can buy them jelly beans before lunch. I can buy them noisy toys that grate on your nerves. I can tell them stories of their mom. I want to be a fun Aunt, so that when they are grown, they will think of me and laugh. I don't want to be a stuffy Aunt. I never want them to dread spending time with me. There are times I've had to discipline Sydney, and I'm sure I will have to discipline both of them in the future. That's part of being an adult. I look forward to creating wonderful memories with both children. I love being an Aunt!
No comments:
Post a Comment