Thursday, November 4, 2010

Baptizing the Babies

One of the things that happened when I went home was Drew's Baptism. Even though I am not his Godmother, I wanted to be there for this event. I was so glad it worked out.

Sydney has an American Girl Bitty Baby doll named Ruby. Santa brought Ruby last year for Syd. My mom bought a christening outfit for Ruby. We gave it to Syd a couple of days before the Baptism. I explained to her what was going to happen in Church on Sunday. Although, I failed to mention that the Priest would only be Baptizing Drew, not Ruby.

The morning of the Baptism, Mom, Dad, & I arrived at church first. Laura & Andy and the children arrived shortly after. They carried Drew in in his car seat, wearing his handsome white suit. Sydney came in carrying Ruby in her car seat. Ruby was wearing her pretty new outfit. Sydney immediately gave Ruby to me to watch.

The Mass went along smoothly, except Ruby kept losing her satin slippers. Each time she lost a slipper, Sydney would give her to me to put it back on. The real baby, Drew, slept through most of the Mass. When it came time for the Baptism, we all went to the back of the church to the Baptismal Fountain, including Ruby. Drew was awake, but he didn't cry or fuss. Once Drew was Baptized, Syd shifted Ruby a little (she had seen her Dad do this with Drew). As the Priest continued with the prayers, Sydney realized that Ruby wasn't going to get baptized. She started getting upset, and trying to get my sister's attention to point out the obvious lapse of the Priest's memory. My sister kept trying to soothe her, without losing concentration of Drew's Baptism. When we went back to the front of the church to continue with the Mass, Sydney started crying. She sat on my Mom's lap and cried because the Priest didn't baptize Ruby.

The church had given Drew many gifts, and one of the things he received was a keepsake bottle of the Holy Water used in the baptismal fountain that day. As Mass continued, Mom asked Laura to give her the bottle of Holy Water. My mother opened the bottle, poured a little on her finger, and made the sign of the cross on Ruby's forehead. We were at one of the most solemn parts of Mass, and I was trying not to erupt in laughter watching my mother Baptize Ruby. This satisfied Sydney, and Mom handed the bottle back to Andy. Andy leaned back and asked if Mom had Baptized Ruby, and Mom said 'Yes'. Andy told us he had planned to do it if Mom didn't.

I know the Baptism is a sacred event, but even my Dad-the staunchest Catholic of all of us, smiled as Ruby was Baptized. Every time I think of my mother baptizing the doll, tears form in my eyes as I try to hold back the laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment