I have been very fortunate that both Sydney and now Drew weren't afraid of me when they were babies. Sydney always came to me without a problem, even though she only saw me a couple of times a year. Granted, Drew has seen me more in his first year than Sydney did in hers, but he isn't afraid of me either. He sees me and gives me a great big smile, and then reaches for me. I think this is a combination of factors. My sister and parents have always been very good about telling the children about Aunt Amy. They show the children my picture. I talked to Sydney on the phone before she could talk, so that she would recognize my voice when she saw me. I have done the same with Drew. I've been talking to him for months on the phone. But I think the biggest reason neither of the children feared me is because I look so much like their mother. We've always looked enough alike that you can tell we're sisters, but if you look closely, you can see that I look like Mom and Laura looks like the Primeaus. It used to be easier to tell us apart, even if my hair was long. I had the straight hair, she had the curly hair. That isn't the case any more. My hair is just as curly as hers, although no one can figure out why. So now I look a whole lot more like Laura. In fact, at the birthday party last week, one of Andy's best friends- the one who introduced Laura and Andy- called me Laura. Then he saw my face and realized I wasn't Laura.
Last Thursday, after collecting me at the airport, and having lunch; later in the afternoon we went to get Drew from Day Care. It was raining, and Dad was just going to go get him, but Sydney decided we should all go in. We walked into the room, and Mom called for her 'Pookie Bear'. (He's going to be about 6'6", a 300 pound linebacker, and my Mom will be in the stands screaming 'Go Pookie Bear!') Drew turned around and saw Mom, and his face lit up. Then I spoke to him, and he started grinning. He no longer wanted MeMe, he wanted Aunt Amy. I took him in my arms, and he snuggled right in against my neck. He is such a lover. He loves to snuggle.
He has such wonderful expressions. His eyes are the same deep blue that Sydney's were (her's have more of a hazel look now). He has the ability to look perfectly innocent and completely devilish at the same time. His eyes just draw you in- I could truly get lost in them. And when I see that good and bad expression on his face, I fall in love. He crawls now, so when we were at the house, I put him down on the floor to let him explore. As soon as he was on the floor, he turned around and pulled himself up using my leg, and wanted me to hold him. He was content right in my lap. If I put him down to walk into the kitchen or bathroom, he followed me just as fast as his little legs would carry him. Dad laughed and said 'He thinks you're Mommy'. I don't think that. Drew knows who his Mommy is. But I think he sees me as 'Like Mommy, so she's ok'.
Every time he saw me all weekend, he reached his arms out to me. He gave me a big smile and then settled in on my lap. I'm kind of inept when it comes to car seats. It is so much easier with Sydney, because she can get herself in and out of her booster seat now. Drew still has the five point harness, and I'm just all thumbs when it comes to those. At one point, I tried to get him out of the car, and was struggling quite a bit. He sat there and laughed at me, like I was the silliest person ever. Once he was free, he wrapped his arms around me and chattered happily.
He's such an adorable little boy. I know we shouldn't wish our lives away, but I can't wait til he's a little older and I can do special things with him like I currently do with Sydney. I know there will have to be times that Sydney and I go off to do girly things, and then I take Drew another day to do the things he likes to do. I see go-karts in my future. And bugs, I'm sure. Hopefully he won't find spiders interesting: I don't know how Aunt Amy would handle that!
No comments:
Post a Comment