Saturday, October 29, 2011

Girl Things

There are times that I think perhaps my genetic code is broken. Or that maybe I was programmed a little wrong. Things that other women obsess over don't interest me. I don't get my nails done. I don't even paint my nails. I rarely wear makeup and hate having to put on heels. I am not into cute shoes. Purses are a necessity to carry all of my stuff, not a fashion statement. Recently I was reminded that I don't even like weddings. The ceremony part is great, but I'm not a dancer or a drinker, so the receptions are always kind of awkward.

Just as I think that deep down, I'm not truly a girl, the shopper in me comes out. I love to shop. One of my favorite things to shop for are household items. I have a weakness for decorative things for the house. Table linens are my biggest downfall. Then of course, you have to have the accessories. What's the point of having really nice table linens if you don't have napkin rings to match? My hope chest is filled with table cloths, placemats, cloth napkins and napkin rings. I have something for every season. The table always looks nice, even though Erich and I eat most of our meals in the living room.

Then we have the dishes. All these pretty table linens and the same old dishes day in and day out. It's depressing. I wish I had enough room in my house to have different dishes for each season. Or at least different dishes for fall and winter. I have a set of Christmas dishes. They aren't spectacular- just something inexpensive I bought one year at Wal-Mart. I have four plates, four bowls, and four mugs. If I have six people for dinner, I can't use the Christmas dishes. Fortunately, I don't often have six people over for a meal! I do have china. My father bought me a set of china when I got married. It was his special gift to me. He felt every girl needed her own china. It has dainty little pink and blue flowers on it. I have a complete set for 8- including a gravy boat and salt and pepper shakers. All of these 'special' dishes are in my china hut in the dining room. I should use them more often.

For reasons I can't explain, the other night I was browsing JCPenney's website, and ended up looking at housewares. I don't know how I got there. I was looking for slippers. I found myself looking at the 'holiday home' section. I love Christmas. It's almost time to put up the tree, so I've been in a Christmas mood lately. I started looking at the placemats and kitchen towels, and then somehow I was in the dishes. Chris Madden has a line of dishes out for fall. There were dark purple plates, a cornucopia centerpiece, and serving platters shaped like leaves. What really drew me in were bowls shaped like pumpkins and purple cabbage! Then I saw the gravy boat shaped like a leaf and I was hooked! I ordered one of each of the bowls and a gravy boat. They were 50% off, so I was thrilled. And then I found myself looking at Christmas dishes. I didn't like the ones JCPenney had, so I went searching on other websites. I found a pattern that I adore. It is homemade stoneware, made in Ohio of all places. But I'm going to have to save up for it. So this year, we'll be eating on the Christmas dishes from Wal-Mart.

As I was browsing around online, I kept thinking "I don't need anything". But I couldn't resist. My friend Birgit declared 2011 a year of frugality and has curbed her shopping significantly. All I can say is she's a stronger person than I am. In my defense though, I am NOT running up credit card bills. Anything I buy comes out of my account, so I know I have the money for it. And I buy when I get a great sale! I'm not always shopping, but when I do, I get the great sales.

I ordered new placemats from Kohls. They are square placemats that are ivory with cardinals and winter branches on them. They'll look nice with our color scheme in the dining room, and will be perfect for winter. I did not buy matching napkins or napkin rings. I also walked away from the 'silverware holders' shaped like turkeys and snowmen that Bed, Bath, and Beyond had. The silverware holders were super cute, but I resisted.

I think I've fulfilled my desire to buy pretty things for the house. At least for a few months. I am so excited about the pumpkin and cabbage shaped bowls and the leaf gravy boat. I am hosting Thanksgiving for my parents this year. These items are going to look great on my table. Especially with the fancy paper plates and napkins that I had previously bought for Thanksgiving! Haha! I guess that's back to the broken girl code.

1 comment:

  1. So I am stronger than you are? Why thank you, my dear!! Know what? I want to continue with my frugal living in 2012 ... I'm serious!

    And apropos shopping - I never get my nails done, wear make-up or squeeze into heels either. I do have a thing for purses though. And you know something? I had to grin, because as much as you don't like to buy yourself any fancy stuff to put on, you sure seem to like dressing up your home :-) !

    ReplyDelete