Several of my friends on Facebook are playing the 30 day song challenge. Each day has a specific theme, and you post the song you like. It appears to also include going to youtube and finding the video or a performance? I'm not really clear on the rules. But I don't want all that hassle. I did think it was neat, so I found the list, printed it, and have been trying to pick songs for this. It is hard. Some days I have more than one song, and other days I can't think of a song.
Day 1: Your favorite song: This is hard. I have different favorite songs, for different occasions. I like '100 Years' by Five for Fighting, because it is a beautiful song. I love 'Sweet Home Alabama' by Lynard Skynard because it's classic. I love 'I Go Blind' (Hootie & The Blowfish), 'Holiday' (Green Day), and '1985' (Bowling for Soup) because they have great beats. So I guess I have a lot of favorites.
Day 2: Your least favorite song: 'Gold Digger' by Kanye West. I truly hate this song. I dislike Kanye West too. He is the only artist that causes me to change the radio station when he's on. I've even changed it to talk radio, just so I don't have to listen to him.
Day 3: A song that makes you happy: 'Light Up My Room' by Barenaked Ladies. Actually, I like the whole album, Stunt. It's a great cd to pop in when you want a good mix of fun and sap.
Day 4: A song that makes you sad: 'God's Will' by Martina McBride. I love the song, but some days I can't even listen to it. It's about a disabled boy and the lessons he teaches those around him.
Day 5: A song that reminds you of someone: Here again, there are several. 'Wind Beneath My Wings' (Bette Midler) reminds me of my sister. We made each other a mix tape when I went to college, and this was the last song on both of our tapes. Both of us said it was how we felt about the other one. Another one for day 5 would be 'Angels Among Us' by ALABAMA. This one makes me think of my Grandpa Wager. Finally, 'Once In Love With Amy' (the Sinatra version) makes me think of a family friend, Al Thayer. He used to sing it to me every time he saw me.
Day 6: A song that reminds you of somewhere: 'God Bless America' (Kate Smith) and 'NY, NY' (Frank Sinatra) both remind me of Yankee Stadium. Really- does this surprise you?
Day 7: A song that reminds you of a certain event: 'Semi-Charmed Kind of Life' (Third Eye Blind). It was released in June,1997, and was extremely popular all that summer and into 1998. I graduated from college in 1998, and this song makes me think of college. More specifically, it makes me think of Senior Night at The Electric Lady, which is a bar in Madison, IN (Madison is just a few minutes from Hanover). The Electric Lady was a popular college hang out. I went to Senior Night with several friends, including my roommate, Hilary. Hilary would not touch a drop of alcohol, but she wanted to go to a bar once. She was afraid someone would give her a coke that had alcohol in it, so she would only let me get her drinks. I remember standing on the second floor, singing along with Hilary and other friends, belting out the words to Semi-Charmed Kind of Life.
Day 8: A song that you know all the words to: I don't know that there is one, but there are quite a few that I can fake my way through!
Day 9: A song that you can dance to: This would imply that you actually CAN dance. Which I can't. I have no rhythm. My sister tried to teach me, and gave up saying it was hopeless. But, if I'm alone in the room and there's no chance anyone is looking in the windows, you'll find me grooving to 'Dancin', Shaggin' on the Boulevard' (ALABAMA).
Day 10: A song that makes you fall asleep: There isn't one. Think about it. If one song put me to sleep, I wouldn't have bouts of insomnia! I can sleep with music on, but there's not one magical 'lights out' song.
Day 11: A song from your favorite band: Just one? They are my favorite band for a reason. I'll go with 'Mountain Music' (ALABAMA). It's classic ALABAMA.
Day 12: A song from a band you hate: 'Hanging Tough' (New Kids on the Block). Yes, I am one of the few people in my age group who hates NKOTB. Or one of the few women that is. My sister was a huge NKOTB fan, as were many of my friends. I just didn't get it. Of course, while they were listening to NKOTB, I was listening to ALABAMA. That might be part of it. I also got so sick of NKOTB.
Day 13: A song that is a guilty pleasure: 'Mambo #5' by Lou Bega. I mean, it's really about a guy who's a womanizer. But I love the beat, and all that trumpet! I find brass music so sexy! I can't explain it.
Day 14: A song that no one would expect you to love: 'Empire State of Mind' (Jay Z/ Alicia Keys). It's a bit modern for me, and possibly is considered rap. See, I don't even know what kind of music it is. But I love it. I think because it's about NY. Even though it's about NYC. But then again, who's writing songs about Albany?
Day 15: A song that describes you: 'Desperado' (The Eagles). I have always had a very deep personal connection to this song. Maybe because I've always been a bit of a loner. The melody and the words speak to my heart.
Day 16: A song A song that you used to love but now hate: 'Follow Me' (Uncle Kracker). My change of heart has nothing to do with Uncle Kracker switching from Rock to Country. After all, country music is where my roots are, and I still enjoy country (but the new stuff all sounds like pop, so why bother?). There was a time, maybe 10 years ago, when I loved this song. The last time I heard it, I realized I should probably take it off my MP3 player. It doesn't speak to me anymore.
Day 17: A song that you hear often on the radio: Whatever Lady Gaga's most recent trash is.
Day 18: A song that you wish you heard on the radio: I can't really think of a specific one, I'd just like more variety. Which is why I usually just listen to a cd or my MP3 player.
Day 19: A song from your favorite album: 'NYC Weather Report' (Five for Fighting). I love this album, and this song is fun. You've got to love Five for Fighting- which is not a band, it is one guy. He chose the name because he's a huge hockey fan. When you are fighting in hockey and get a penalty, you get five minutes for fighting. Hence the name. I love that!
Day 20: A song that you listen to when you're angry: 'Bitch' (Meredith Brooks). The name says it all! It is best enjoyed with the volume turned up loud, the windows down, and wind blowing through your hair.
Day 21: A song that you listen to when you're happy: 'One Week' (BareNaked Ladies). It's a fun song. BNL is always a good choice when I'm happy.
Day 22: A song that you listen to when you're sad: Hymns. I have a CD of ALABAMA singing hymns, and I listen to it when I'm down. It gives me comfort.
Day 23: A song that you want to play at your wedding: Hmm. I already had one, and we did 'The Way You Look Tonight' (Sinatra). I don't plan on having another, but I guess if there were to be one, it would be 'What's Forever For?' (Michael Martin Murphey). It's an old country song- it came out in 1982. I was 6. I've been listening to it for most of my life. It is a beautiful song that makes you sad and hopeful at the same time. "I've been looking at people, and how they change with the times, and lately all I've been seeing are people throwing love away and losing their minds. Maybe it's me who's gone crazy, but I can't understand why.. all these lovers keep hurting each other when good love is so hard to come by. So what's the glory in living? Doesn't anybody ever stay together any more? And if love never lasts forever, tell me, what's forever for?"
Day 24: A song that you want to play at your funeral: 'How Great Thou Art' . We did not usually attend Mass with singing, but sometimes we went and I remember hearing this song at Mass. I remember how the notes would bounce off the wooden pews, and echo through the stained glass windows. It always felt so powerful, and made me feel small, but safe. It is my favorite hymn.
Day 25: A song that makes you laugh: 'Snoopy's Christmas' (Royal Guardsmen). There were several songs the Royal Guardsmen did in the 1960s about Snoopy and the Red Baron. Yes, Snoopy, the beagle in the Peanuts comic strip. I am a Peanuts fan, and of course a beagle fan, and the songs are just fun. I have several of them on my MP3 player.
Day 26: A song that you can play on an instrument: 'Jesus Loves Me' . It was one of the first songs I learned to play on the organ. It has been years since I played it, but I'm sure I could still do it.
Day 27: A song that you wish you could play: 'Driving' (the soundtrack to Driving Miss Daisy). I love the sound of a clarinet (yet I played flute, go figure!). It is such a long beautiful piece, I wish I could play it.
Day 28: A song that makes you feel guilty: I don't think of any.
Day 29: A song from your childhood: 'Roll On (Eighteen Wheeler)' by ALABAMA. It is a song about a dad who drives truck, and the family waiting for him at home. My mother introduced me to ALABAMA. For years, my dad drove the field truck for Caterpillar, and his job could take him anywhere in the Northeast. The nights dad would be late, Mom put on this album and played it. It was kind of an anthem for our family.
Day 30: Your favorite song at this time last year: 'Say Hey Song' by Michael Franti & Spearhead. It has this wonderful Caribbean beat that I find irresistible. Recently I have heard it used in a beer commercial. "It seems like everywhere I go, the more I see the less I know." Makes you want to get up and dance!
So that does it, my own version of the 30 Day song challenge. The thing is, I like so many songs. I like songs for their beat, or for the memories the song evokes, or for the people the song reminds me of. Tomorrow I will return to our regular blogging- after all, I have more Sydney stories!
No comments:
Post a Comment