Thursday, April 28, 2011

Why In The World

Sydney's new thing (or at least it was new since I saw her in February) is to ask 'Why in the world...' if she can't fathom something. For instance, there was a stray cat in the backyard one evening that the beagles chased off from the patio. When they came inside, I praised them both. Sydney wanted to know why I was saying 'Good Girl, Good Boy' and I told her 'they chased off a cat. I don't like cats'. So she praised them as well.

She then told me she doesn't like cats. She said 'Why in the world would anyone like cats?' When she says 'why in the world' she rolls her eyes. Like this is so ridiculous it just doesn't make any sense at all. I told her 'MeMe likes cats'. So at breakfast the next morning she asked my mom, "MeMe, why in the world do you like cats?" Again, complete with the eye roll. My mom told her that on the farm my grandparents used to have, there were mice, and Mom had cats to get rid of the mice. Sydney accepted this. Until we told her that MeMe used to dress up her cats like babydolls and push them in the stroller. Sydney found this absolutely absurd, and said 'why in the world would you do that?'

I lost count of how many times she said 'Why in the world...' or all the circumstances she said it in. It was hilarious. Especially to watch her little blue eyes roll. It is this exasperated roll. Something you'd expect out of a 14 year old, not a 4 year old! Oh, I'm sorry. 4 and a HALF. She was quick to remind me when I said she was 4, that she was not! She was four and a HALF! She has so much personality, and she's so much more mature than her age. It's so easy to forget you're dealing with a child.

Sometimes, her attitude gets a little smart, and she ventures into Brat territory. And when that happens, she gets scolded. Yes, as adorable as she is, sometimes she was a brat, and I had to scold her. But most of the time, she's such a delight to be around and just leaves you in stitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment