Saturday, April 23, 2011

Our First Reds Game

Sunday, April 17 we went to a Reds Game. I bought the tickets for Dad's birthday and Father's Day combined. I got a great deal on the tickets. If you bought one at full price, you got the rest for half off. Our seats were just to the right of home plate, still kind of behind home plate. Sure, it was the last row in the section, but they were incredible seats. The full price ticket was only $45! We were amazed! When we got into the stadium, Dad stopped by a map and wanted to see where our seats were. When I pointed to the section we were in, he looked at me in wonder. He was really impressed.

It was overall, a pleasant experience. I've never been to a National League game. The Yankees are in the American League. The difference is that in the American League, the pitcher only pitches. He doesn't take a turn at the bat. In the National League, the pitcher also bats.

We left the house early, so that we would have plenty of time to find parking. We're used to going to baseball games in the Bronx, where if you don't get there early, you don't find decent parking. We arrived two hours early. We did get a little lost getting off the interstate, because the signs said ballpark exit 1F, Second Street. And when we got there, 1F was NOT the Second Street exit. But we were only a couple of blocks away, and easily found our way to the ball park. Downtown Cincinnati was absolutely dead. You would not think you were in the middle of a big city.

We parked in a garage a block from the stadium. We were the first car in the garage. It was a pleasant walk next to the river. It was a cool day, the high was only about 62, and it was windy. But the sunshine was gorgeous. We went to the main gate and had to wait about half an hour before the gates opened. People stood in line and chatted with strangers. Dad and I were at a baseball game, so naturally, we had on Yankees apparel. Dad had on his Yankees hat, shirt, sweatshirt, and coat. I wore a Yankees hat (because it's a baseball game, you have to wear a hat), shirt (which no one saw) and sweatshirt. Several people approached us asking 'are you from NY?' Dad happily told everyone he was a die hard Yankees fan, but I lived here so we came to see the Reds. People thought it was great that we were coming to the Reds game. Everyone was so friendly.

When the gates opened, I grabbed Syd's hand and held onto her. Mom and Dad kind of wrapped their arms around us, to make a protective barrier around us so we couldn't get separated. As I said, we're used to the Bronx. Where people push and shove to get into the gates. At Great American Ballpark, people stood in a line and entered the gate in an orderly fashion. No pushing. There was no fear of being separated. The people behind you knew they'd get in once you did. It was so pleasant.

Once inside the gate, we got our free baseball cards, which were handed out to all the fans as part of a promotion. In NY, promotional materials are handed out to the first few thousand. That's part of the jostling and pushing- everyone wants that free item. In Cincinnati, you just walked up and a ballpark employee handed one to you. It was easy to find our seats. Partly because Great American Ballpark is a small park, especially compared to Yankee Stadium. I really don't think there's a bad seat in the park.

Sydney wanted to eat as soon as we were there. She started with a hot dog. Then she ate french fries, and had an ice cream. Mom went to get an ice cream, and was back within five minutes. It wasn't this huge stadium to go through. Syd ate all of this before the first pitch was thrown. The prices were wonderful- a hot dog was only $4.00 (or maybe it was $4.50). Erich thought this was outrageous, but when Dad told him it's $8 in Yankee stadium, Erich realized why we thought it was such a cheap day. We were able to take a small cooler in, which saved us because we had Syd's drinks and waters in the cooler.

Sydney took her pink glove, and was certain we were going to catch a ball. We didn't. She bought one though, in the gift shop. There was not a lot of fan fare before the game. When they sang the Star Spangled Banner, I noticed not all the players for both teams were on the field. It was low key, but still a lot of fun. The fans still get into the game, just as they do in NY. It was easy to get into it, and you never felt like an outsider. Sydney loved the game, she kept watching. And eating. When the vendors came through the crowd, she got a cotton candy. A few minutes later, she got a snow cone. Mom had told her she could have anything she wanted. I kept hoping she wouldn't get sick. She didn't. In the 7th inning she had another hot dog. We hit the gift shop and she picked out a little glove and ball for her brother. She bought herself a Rosie doll (one of the mascots), and then picked a Mr. Red doll for her brother. In the gift shop, I was amazed at how civil everyone was. There was no pushing. No employees standing between you and the merchandise, trying to control the mob. You didn't feel like cattle being herded. You could take your time and find what you wanted. The cashier even asked each person if you needed tags cut off so you could wear the merchandise right away.

Each time the Reds score a home run, these smokestacks (that look like smokestacks from a paddle wheel boat) shoot fireworks. Sydney really enjoyed seeing that, although I had to explain to her why they didn't send off fireworks when the other team got a home run.

In the 9th inning we got up to hit the ladies' room one last time. As we went back to our seats, children were lining up in the concourse. It was 'run the bases' day, and kids can run the bases after the final out. I grabbed Dad, so we could get on the other side of the line to leave. We ended up leaving before the final out, but we had a great time. We walked to the car, had no problem getting out, and in 5 minutes we were back on the interstate headed for home. It was a good game, and a very nice stadium. The stadium sits on the river, so on a nice summer day it must be beautiful.

The stadium isn't hard to get to, and Dad and I both said we'd go again. I'll have to wait for my parents to come out, because Erich doesn't do baseball. Or any sports. Even though I'm not a Reds fan, it was a very pleasant experience. In fact, I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Yankee Stadium. I have no desire to go back to Yankee Stadium, but I'll go back to Great American. It was what a baseball game should be: fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment