When we were kids and flying on an airplane, turning off all electronic devices for takeoff meant turning off your Walkman. Now it's cell phones, MP3 players, and laptops. Unless you have never been on an airplane, you know that when the plane door is shut, the electronics must be turned off.
Yet I am still amazed at the number of people who seem to think this doesn't apply to them. They keep texting on their smart phones, or browsing on their laptops. On a recent flight, the flight attendant had to walk down the aisle telling people to turn off their electronics. She had to personally tell ten people. And even then, they kept working. Some people had to be told two or three times, and in one instance, she had to reach over and close the laptop for the person.
The really annoying thing is that most of these people appeared to be businessmen who travel frequently. They board first with their frequent flier status. They get annoyed in security lines when they get stopped behind people who don't travel frequently, and are therefore not aware they need to remove their shoes or put their liquids in a bag. So they should know the drill. All electronics must be off for take off. It doesn't mean all unless you are a businessman. It means all. Teenagers, soccer moms, world travelers, and businessmen.
I didn't notice myself flying on Air Force One, and I didn't see the President on the commercial 100 passenger jet out of Albany. So nothing any of these people were doing was so important that they needed to disregard the safety of the other passengers. Yet these arrogant jerks continue to type away, or talk away, like the rules don't apply to them. Obviously they have such an over-inflated sense of self-worth that they think they are impressing the working people on the plane by having to take this call or finish this email. I've got news for you jerks- all email programs have a 'save draft' function. You can save it and pick up right where you left off. And the call you're on? Tell the person 'We're getting ready to take off. I'll call you later'. Seriously! I am unimpressed by your status. You're just a loser who cannot follow directions. So turn it off before I cram that cell phone down your throat!
And don't you get ME started on those who can't stay on their butts right after landing. Even while they are in the middle of telling you to stay seated until the plane has come to a full stop, people are jumping out of their seats. You won't get off the plane faster that way, trust me!
ReplyDeleteHaha!! I actually started to write about that too in this post, and then backspaced. I will stand up once the plane is stopped, if it's a small plane. My reason for this though is that I am 5'9" and the planes have no room. But-- if some arrogant person hits me with their bag as they pull it out of the overhead, I hit them with mine. You can't take the NY out of the girl! :)
ReplyDelete