Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Therapy

Today is my Grandmother's birthday. She would have been 93. Tomorrow marks the second anniversary of her passing. I am glad to be home with mom this week. I had to babysit Drew this morning, and then spent the day at my sister's. I suggested we take Mom out to lunch, just in case she was feeling down. We went to a nearby diner. Once we were settled, my sister started talking about her morning.

Our lunch to take mom's mind off the date quickly took an amusing turn. It became a bit of a therapy session for us. We weren't completely man bashing, but more taking comfort in the idea that we weren't alone in our frustrations. Had any of them walked in, Dad, my BIL, or even Erich, would have quickly decided not to sit with us.

My sister was venting about her husband. She was feeling what I think a lot of new mothers feel-a bit overwhelmed and under appreciated. Now that she has two children to juggle, in addition to the house, the job, the dogs, and the husband- she just needed to let off steam. As she talked, my mom nodded in understanding. Mom has been there. Even though I am not a wife or mother, I understand some of her feelings. We shared stories, and those little things that your significant other does every day that every once in a while adds up to making you just want to wring his neck. We laughed a lot. My sister felt better afterwards, and we needed the laughs. It was a good break in our day.

I think all women need to have someone they can vent with. Whether it is a mother, a sister, a daughter, or girlfriends. It was therapeutic for us. I realized how much I love my mom and sister, and how very fortunate we are to have each other. The three of us are great friends. I wish all mothers and daughters and sisters could have such a great relationship.

We did have one boy with us at lunch-Drew. He slept through the whole thing, and fortunately, is too little to repeat our secrets to the other guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment