Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year

I have never been big on New Year's Resolutions. Mostly because the amount of willpower I have would fit into a thimble. I am not a person who likes to exercise. I know, you're saying 'who does?' I actually know people who enjoy it. I have never been one of them. I've tried. I bought myself a gym membership one year, and went once. The following year I bought myself a gazelle glider, put it up, and used it for maybe a week. Now it mostly acts as a hanger for my towels after my shower. I mean to use it more, and sometimes I do get on it and use it. My goal is to use it a few minutes a day and work myself up to maybe 20 minutes a day. Maybe it would help with my Fibro. But when it comes down to it, I'm just to beat at the end of the day to use it.

My lack of willpower was confirmed today when I went to Michael's for the yarn sale. My plan was to buy the yarn Erich wanted for his afghan. I told myself as I went into the store that I would only get that yarn, and maybe some photo albums. I was not going to go crazy in the yarn department. 25 skeins of yarn later, I reluctantly left the yarn section. There was so much more I wanted to buy, but I limited myself to just three projects (and none of them were Erich's- he didn't find what he wanted).

So I do not make resolutions. It just sets me up for failure, and I don't need that. Of course, there are things I'd like to get done in the coming year. I'd like to get to Myrtle Beach to visit my dear friend Patricia. I'd like to get my credit card paid off. I would like to plan out my knitting projects better so I'm not down to the wire come next December. There are always projects around the house to do, and I have a lot of organizing projects I need to tackle. Then of course, I will need to make at least one trip home to NY.

New Year's Eve always seems so full of promise. It seems like the next year is a clean slate, even though your routine will continue just as it did this year. Yet I don't really feel the hope this year. This past week at work we learned the company had been sold. I actually don't work for that company, I work for a non-profit in the same building. The non-profit leases me from the company that has been sold. So I don't know what it means for me. None of us really do. The new owners are coming next week. No doubt there will be big changes. All I can do is do my job to the best of my ability. I always give 120% anyway, and if that isn't enough, then there's nothing I can do about that. I am anxious about it, but I'm not letting it keep me up at night.

December has brought enough drama for a year, and I am truly hoping 2011 is better. Odd, because I normally don't like odd numbered years. I will be 35 next year. I'm trying not to think about that, it sounds so old. So here's to 2011, may it bring more good than bad!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of a clean slate, no matter if it's a new year or just a new day. To see every day, every year as a new adventure.
    And as far as resolutions go, well mine has been decided upon by my friend Sarah. The motto is "I shall be frugal". Or rather "We shall be frugal". Of course no one believes we are up to this challenge, but where there's willpower ... oh damn it ... we're doomed ...

    ReplyDelete