Many readers of this blog know that this past weekend was an extremely rough one for my family. My three and a half month old nephew stopped breathing briefly at Day Care on Friday. My brother in law was called, he was rushed to the Dr, then to the hospital, and admitted to the hospital. He finally came home today, after spending most of the weekend in an oxygen tank. Even though I am not a mother (to humans that is), I understand the terror my sister felt. And yet, I can't completely understand it, because I do not have human children. As frightened as I was, for my sister, this was her helpless infant son.
To add to this stress, my Grandmother is still in the hospital, recovering from surgery last Monday. The doctors discovered last week that Grandma's cancer is inoperable. Maybe I already blogged about that. I honestly can't remember- things are all starting to run together. The only good thing is that both Drew and my Grandma were in the same hospital- Drew on the 5th floor and Gram on the 6th. So my parents and sister were able to see both patients easily. My sister put it well: The matriarch and the baby of the family were both in the hospital.
These are times it is extremely difficult to be so far away. The times I have to remind myself this is my choice. It was my choice to move so far away. This is where I have built my life. It is the trying times a family goes through that are made more difficult by the distance. When my father suffered a life changing injury on the job in 2007, I felt so helpless. I know I would have felt helpless if I were in NY too- but my sister and mother and I could have felt helpless together. It was the same feeling this weekend- I could not be there to help my sister. At least if I were there, I could occupy my four year old niece, watch the dogs, something. Just be there to give her a hug. But I was not there. I was here, in Ohio, where my life is. All I could do was pray.
I have never been a person who shouts 'praise God' or testifies to others. To me, my faith is something very personal. But I do believe in the power of prayer. If someone asks me to remember a loved one in prayer, I do. Sometimes people will be going through a difficult time, and may not ask for a prayer, but I add them to mine. So Friday, when Drew was admitted to the hospital, I started praying. And I asked my friends to pray. By Sunday, people around the country, even in other parts of the world, were praying for this little bundle of joy. Several friends told me they added him to the prayer chains or prayer lists at their churches. People I have never met were lifting my nephew up in prayer. This was overwhelming for all of us: my parents, my sister and brother in law, and myself. I talked to my sister each day, and I could hear the stress, the exhaustion, the fear in her voice. And I also heard the gratitude that so many people were thinking of him.
I have found myself saying 'thank you' a lot in the past few days. And yet, it doesn't seem to be enough. How do you thank people who took a minute or two from their lives to think of this small boy they have never met, but who means so much to us? I believe the countless prayers of friends and strangers pulled all of us through this weekend, and helped Drew get better. My sister and I both commented that we could feel the love wrapping around us. My friends were wonderful- talking to me, offering encouragement, being there for me. Many of these friends are my bear friends, whom I have never met in person but who are my best friends.
I am so very blessed. My life is full of wonderful, caring people who are there when you need them. Even if being 'there' means being in cyberspace. We had a lot of support this weekend. So to the extended family members, old friends, new friends, and friends I haven't yet met- thank you. Drew has no idea how many people were pulling for him. I don't either- but I know when you rally the troops in prayer, beautiful things can happen. Whether you offered a prayer, chatted with me, offered words of encouragement, or just offered a smile or a hug; each gesture was greatly appreciated. My heart swelled this weekend with the love and care people were sending to us. Thank you seems so inadequate, even when it is so heartfelt. I wish I could see each of you and give you a big hug. Maybe make you cookies. Oh wait, I'm not making cookies this year. All I can say is I cherish each of you, and am so grateful God put you in my life.
Beautifully said :-) !
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm sure glad that little Drew is on the road to recovery and back home again!!